The application period for the Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships for Foreign Scholars and Artists for the academic year 2023–2024 is currently open. In an effort to foster international interchange and research collaboration between Switzerland and more than 180 other countries, the Government of Switzerland annually grants hundreds of scholarships to deserving foreign academics and artists.
The Federal Commission for Scholarships for Foreign Students, the organization that grants the scholarships, chooses the recipients (FCS). Young international researchers who have achieved a master’s or doctoral degree, as well as foreign artists who possess a bachelor’s degree, are the target audience for the Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships.
Scholarship Sponsor(s): Swiss Government
Host Institution(s): All Swiss Public Universities
Scholarship Worth: Fully-funded (covers full cost of study and related expenses)
Number of Awards: Several (Not Stated)
Study Level: Masters & PhD degree
Nationality: International students
Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships 2023-2024 | DETAILS
The following types of scholarships will be awarded to either for foreign scholars and artists respectively;
- The research scholarship is available to post-graduate researchers in any discipline (who hold a master’s degree as a minimum) who are planning to come to Switzerland to pursue research or further studies at doctoral or post-doctoral level.
Research scholarships are awarded for research or study at all Swiss cantonal universities, universities of applied sciences and the two federal institutes of technology, as well as the four research institutes. Only candidates nominated by an academic mentor at one of these higher education institutions will be considered.
- Art scholarships are open to art students wishing to pursue an initial master’s degree in Switzerland. Art scholarships are awarded for study at any Swiss conservatory or university of the arts. This scholarship is available to students from a limited number of countries only.
Young international researchers who have achieved a master’s or doctoral degree, as well as foreign artists who possess a bachelor’s degree, are the target audience for the Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships. Ideally;
- The applicant must be a international student (a foreign scholar or artist)
- The applicant must be admitted into a Masters or PhD program.
- For Masters program, the applicant must hold (or are about to obtain) a undergraduate degree (or international equivalent) from a reputable institution;
- For PhD program, the applicant must hold a master’s-level qualification at merit or distinction (or international equivalent);
- The applicant must have a track record of engaging with research. This may include contributions to publications/articles, promoting their research to a wider audience, prizes for research or project work.
The FCS assesses scholarship applications according to three criteria:
- Candidate profile
- Quality of the research project or artistic work
- Synergies and potential for future research cooperation
- The scholarship covers full funding for the course of study
- All university tuition fees at the international rate; health insurance, air fare, housing allowance etc.
How to Apply: All interested and qualified candidates for Swiss Government Scholarships are required to submit an application and get an unconditional offer of admission to pursue a Masters or PhD degree at any Swiss public university before submitting an application for the scholarship. Please take the recommended actions. [here].
Application Deadline: Not specified